Skip to main content

Peace Corps to recruit 2,000 youths, adults in Lagos

Peace Corps of Nigeria

The Peace Corps of Nigeria says it will recruit 2, 000 youths from Lagos State this year, Mr Mutairu Habib, the South-West Zonal Commandant of the corps said on Saturday in Lagos.

“The corps is targeting to recruit 2,000 officers in Lagos State this year as part of efforts to reduce unemployment,” he told a news conference.

The commandant said the recruitment was aimed at complementing efforts of federal and state governments in tackling youth unemployment.

Habib, who is also the State Commandant of the Corps, urged governments at all levels to key into the policies of the security outfit.

The National Assembly had in November 2016 passed the bill establishing the Peace Corps of Nigeria and it is currently awaiting presidential assent.

Also, Senate President Bukola Saraki had said the passage of the bill would institutionalise the corps that had been in existence for several years as a voluntary organisation in the country.

The Peace Corps is a volunteer programme run by the United States Government since 1961 and to date, nearly 220,000 Americans have joined the Corps and are serving in 141 countries.

Habib, who was optimistic that the bill would be signed into law soon, said the corps would help to facilitate peace, community services, nation building among others.

According to him, the corps also has a vision and mission to train, educate and re-orientate youths on their future leadership roles in the society.

Habib said that already officers of the corps had started working as tourist guides and security operatives in schools, banks, and others organisations.

“The youths, who after distinct initial training and orientation, are given the status of Staff Officers and are thus, entitled to monthly stipend paid jointly by the corps and the direct beneficiary of the corps’ services.’’

He said employed professionals in the various fields, who are willing to serve as Peace Corps Volunteers would be recruited.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pope not involved in Colombian peace deal- Vatican

Pope Francis Pope Francis has turned down a request to play a role in the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group. The Vatican in a statement issued on Wednesday in in Vatican City said that an invitation was sent to his Holiness in early August to appoint a representative to participate in the committee that selected the judges for the talks. The statement said that though Pope Francis supported the peace process, he, however, reiterated that he would not get involved in Colombian peace deal. It said that Pope was praying for the enlightenment of the hearts and minds of those who were called to promote the common good of the Colombian nation. A deal was announced last week, putting an end to five decades of internal conflict between government forces and the FARC rebels. The agreement, which needed to be ratified through a referendum in Oct. 2, would entail setting up a special court to grant amnesties or pu...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...

Fall of Assad is a Blow to Russia's Prestige

The potential fall of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a long-standing ally of Russia, would mark a turning point in Moscow’s global influence, particularly in the Middle East. Steve Rosenberg’s analysis underscores the profound implications for Russia, which has invested heavily—both militarily and politically—in ensuring Assad’s survival over the past decade. This article delves into why Assad’s downfall would strike at the core of Russian prestige and what it could mean for the broader geopolitical landscape. Russia's Strategic Commitment to Syria Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad's regime. In 2015, Moscow launched a military intervention that proved decisive in stabilizing Assad’s hold on power. This intervention solidified Russia's role as a key power broker in the Middle East and demonstrated its willingness to project military power far beyond its borders. Syria is not just an ally for Russia; it is a...