Skip to main content

ETF: Lagos targets 900,000 jobs, distributes offer letter to 150 beneficiaries

L-R: Executive Secretary, Lagos State Employment Trust Fund (LSETF), Mr. Akin Oyebode, presenting an offer letter to a successful applicant, Mr. Charles Chike Obi during the distribution of offer letters to beneficiaries of the N25 Billion Employment Trust Fund (ETF) Pilot Scheme at the LSETF Office, Oregun, Ikeja, on Friday, December 30, 2016. With them is Director of Strategy Funding & Stakeholder Engagement, LSETF, Mrs. Abosede Alimi.

The Lagos State Government, through the Lagos State Employment Trust Fund (LSETF) on Friday distributed offer letters to some of the beneficiaries of the pilot scheme of the N25 billion Employment Trust Fund (ETF), with a pledge to create at least 300, 000 direct and 600, 000 indirect jobs by 2019 through the initiative.

Executive Secretary of LSETF, Mr. Akin Oyebode, during the distribution ceremony at Billings Way, Ikeja, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria said the award of the offer letters was in fulfillment of one of the cardinal promises of the Governor Akinwunmi Ambode-led administration to set up a fund to drive the growth of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in recognition of their critical role as the engine of growth and leading creator of jobs in any economy.

Oyebode, who said the award of the offer letters was also an eloquent testimony of the readiness of the State Government to support the thriving youths and residents of the State, said a total of 1,000 MSMEs had been earmarked to benefit from the pilot scheme, out of which 281 micro enterprises had so far been approved.

He said out of those approved, 150 beneficiaries had collected their offer letters, while the process for approval for others in the pilot scheme was ongoing.

To ensure transparency and unbiased process, Oyebode said the LSETF engaged partners to help with the selection, verification and disbursement of the loans to beneficiaries.

“These partners include Price Waterhouse Coopers (PWC) who verified all the applications and audit the processes. Others include organizations such as the Fate Foundation, LEAP Africa, Nigerian Association of Small Scale Industrialists (NASSI), Women in Management, Business and Public Service (WIMBIZ), National Automobile Technicians Association (NATA) and Cooperative Societies, who provided applicants for the pilot scheme through their membership,” Oyebode said.

L-R: Successful Applicants of Lagos State Employment Trust Fund (LSETF), Mr. Ganiyu Ayantunde; Mr. Abdul Rasheed Olakunle Kazeem; Executive Secretary, LSETF, Mr. Akin Oyebode; Mrs. Sukurat Modupe Alausa; Mr. Charles Chike Obi and Miss Olayemi Zainab Balogun during the distribution of Offer Letters to beneficiaries of the N25 Billion Employment Trust Fund (ETF) Pilot Scheme at the LSETF Office, Oregun, Ikeja, on Friday.

He added that application process was still ongoing and that once completed, a full list of beneficiaries would be made available to the public.

While disclosing details of the loan, Oyebode said the beneficiaries of the micro enterprise pilot scheme were given loan approval ranging from N300, 000 to N500, 000, with an annual five percent interest rate, which is the lowest anywhere in the country.

He said the LSETF was in the process of rolling out the N5 million SME loan programme which would provide fund for the sector for up to two years, adding that the N6.25 billion to be disbursed annually through the ETF has already been approved.

Besides, Oyebode expressed gratitude to all stakeholders for their support so far, and expressed readiness for greater cooperation in the coming months and years.

Responding, one of the beneficiaries, Mr. Chike Charles Obi expressed appreciation to the State Government, especially Governor Ambode for fulfilling his promise, saying that most of them did not initially believe that the offer was real, but just applied.

He said the development was a confirmation that Governor Ambode has brought real change to governance, and thanked the LSETF for being transparent and unbiased especially in choosing the beneficiaries.

Another beneficiary, Mrs. Modupe Shukurat Alausa urged her co-beneficiaries to encourage government by using the fund for the purpose meant. She also thanked Governor Ambode for running an all inclusive government.

-Kazeem Ugbodaga

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pope not involved in Colombian peace deal- Vatican

Pope Francis Pope Francis has turned down a request to play a role in the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group. The Vatican in a statement issued on Wednesday in in Vatican City said that an invitation was sent to his Holiness in early August to appoint a representative to participate in the committee that selected the judges for the talks. The statement said that though Pope Francis supported the peace process, he, however, reiterated that he would not get involved in Colombian peace deal. It said that Pope was praying for the enlightenment of the hearts and minds of those who were called to promote the common good of the Colombian nation. A deal was announced last week, putting an end to five decades of internal conflict between government forces and the FARC rebels. The agreement, which needed to be ratified through a referendum in Oct. 2, would entail setting up a special court to grant amnesties or pu...

Fall of Assad is a Blow to Russia's Prestige

The potential fall of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a long-standing ally of Russia, would mark a turning point in Moscow’s global influence, particularly in the Middle East. Steve Rosenberg’s analysis underscores the profound implications for Russia, which has invested heavily—both militarily and politically—in ensuring Assad’s survival over the past decade. This article delves into why Assad’s downfall would strike at the core of Russian prestige and what it could mean for the broader geopolitical landscape. Russia's Strategic Commitment to Syria Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad's regime. In 2015, Moscow launched a military intervention that proved decisive in stabilizing Assad’s hold on power. This intervention solidified Russia's role as a key power broker in the Middle East and demonstrated its willingness to project military power far beyond its borders. Syria is not just an ally for Russia; it is a...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...