Skip to main content

Beautician begs court to dissolve her marriage

Marriage put asunder

Marriage put asunder

A beautician,34, Mutiat Ogunsina, who accused her husband of constant beating and threat to life, on Tuesday pleaded with an Agege Customary Court to dissolve her 17-year-old marriage.

Mutiat, an indigene of Ogun and a mother of two, resides at No. 12, Jaweshola St., Ope-ilu, Ogun.

She claimed that her respondent was not caring as a husband and father.

“My husband beats me constantly during which he pulls me around with my hair, uprooting it in the process.

“Whenever we have any misunderstanding, he always threatens to kill me.

“He has no interest in my welfare and has not been responsible for the children’s upkeep, ‘’she said.

The petitioner, who described her husband as violent man, pleaded with the court to separate them, “I am no longer interested in the union’’.

“I also want my husband to take full responsibility for the children’s education and to stop harassing me,’’she explained.

The respondent, Sanjo Ogunsina, 43, a resident of Ijoko- lemo, Abule in Ogun, denied the petitioner’s claims.

Sanjo said that the economic recession had really affected his business, “in spite of this, I am still responsible for the upkeep of the children’’.

“Now that things are a little bit hard, l still try my best to take good care of the family,’’ he said.

The respondent said he wholeheartedly agreed to the dissolution of the union between him and his wife.
He also accused his wife of having illicit affairs with different men before she finally absconded from the house.

The respondent alleged that the petitioner’s new husband had been sending assassins to eliminate him.

“I can’t sleep in my house again; l keep squatting with friends due to fear of being killed,’’ he said

The respondent appealed to the court to order the petitioner to release his land and house documents she took away.

He also said he wanted to have access to their children.

Mr Philip Williams, the court’s President, adjourned the case till Nov. 24 for judgment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pope not involved in Colombian peace deal- Vatican

Pope Francis Pope Francis has turned down a request to play a role in the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group. The Vatican in a statement issued on Wednesday in in Vatican City said that an invitation was sent to his Holiness in early August to appoint a representative to participate in the committee that selected the judges for the talks. The statement said that though Pope Francis supported the peace process, he, however, reiterated that he would not get involved in Colombian peace deal. It said that Pope was praying for the enlightenment of the hearts and minds of those who were called to promote the common good of the Colombian nation. A deal was announced last week, putting an end to five decades of internal conflict between government forces and the FARC rebels. The agreement, which needed to be ratified through a referendum in Oct. 2, would entail setting up a special court to grant amnesties or pu...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...

Fall of Assad is a Blow to Russia's Prestige

The potential fall of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a long-standing ally of Russia, would mark a turning point in Moscow’s global influence, particularly in the Middle East. Steve Rosenberg’s analysis underscores the profound implications for Russia, which has invested heavily—both militarily and politically—in ensuring Assad’s survival over the past decade. This article delves into why Assad’s downfall would strike at the core of Russian prestige and what it could mean for the broader geopolitical landscape. Russia's Strategic Commitment to Syria Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad's regime. In 2015, Moscow launched a military intervention that proved decisive in stabilizing Assad’s hold on power. This intervention solidified Russia's role as a key power broker in the Middle East and demonstrated its willingness to project military power far beyond its borders. Syria is not just an ally for Russia; it is a...