Skip to main content

Alarm over proposed Philippine law to jail 9-year-olds

Philippines President, Rodrigo Duterte

Philippines President, Rodrigo Duterte

Children as young as nine could be jailed in the Philippines for certain crimes under a proposed law backed by the president, sparking concern Monday from the United Nations and rights groups.

President Rodrigo Duterte’s allies have been pushing to pass laws by December that would restore the death penalty and lower the minimum age of criminal responsibility from 15 to 9.

Duterte won May elections largely because of a vow to kill tens of thousands of drug dealers, also promising on the campaign trail to close a loophole in the juvenile justice system that he said allowed traffickers to use minors as narcotic couriers.

“Adult criminals knowingly and purposely make use of youth below 15 years of age to commit crimes, such as drug trafficking,” Pantaleon Alvarez, one of the proposed law’s main backers, said in an explanatory note.

While Duterte wanted the age threshold dropped to 12, his allies went one step further by calling for it to be lowered to nine.

The UN children’s agency UNICEF reminded the Philippines of its international obligations.

Manila is a state party to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, which says criminal responsibility below the age of 12 is not acceptable.

“Jail is no place for a child. It is alarming for children to be institutionalized (sent to a penal institution),” UNICEF said in a position paper sent to AFP Monday. “It will be retrogression on the part of the Philippine Government.”

Rights organizations launched a campaign called #ChildrenNotCriminals to urge lawmakers to reconsider their support for the law.

One of the groups, Plan International, told AFP that children on the wrong side of the law were often victims of criminal gangs.

“It is unfair that it’s always the children who are blamed. This will result in children becoming hardened criminals,” said Ernesto Almocera of Plan International Philippines.

The advocates appealed to Duterte to explore factors that led children to commit crimes, such as poverty and lack of parental guidance and education.

“We cannot hold children to the same standard as we hold adult offenders,” Melanie Llana of the Philippine Action for Youth Offenders told AFP. “Are we really going to jail 9-year-olds who we know are not fully mature?”

Duterte’s hardline approach to criminals has drawn criticism from its ally the United States, the UN and human rights groups.

Nearly 2,000 people have been killed in police operations and 2,800 have died in unexplained circumstances since Duterte took office on June 30, according to official figures.

Critics allege some of these deaths amount to state-sponsored extrajudicial killings, a charge Duterte has rejected.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pope not involved in Colombian peace deal- Vatican

Pope Francis Pope Francis has turned down a request to play a role in the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group. The Vatican in a statement issued on Wednesday in in Vatican City said that an invitation was sent to his Holiness in early August to appoint a representative to participate in the committee that selected the judges for the talks. The statement said that though Pope Francis supported the peace process, he, however, reiterated that he would not get involved in Colombian peace deal. It said that Pope was praying for the enlightenment of the hearts and minds of those who were called to promote the common good of the Colombian nation. A deal was announced last week, putting an end to five decades of internal conflict between government forces and the FARC rebels. The agreement, which needed to be ratified through a referendum in Oct. 2, would entail setting up a special court to grant amnesties or pu...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...

Fall of Assad is a Blow to Russia's Prestige

The potential fall of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a long-standing ally of Russia, would mark a turning point in Moscow’s global influence, particularly in the Middle East. Steve Rosenberg’s analysis underscores the profound implications for Russia, which has invested heavily—both militarily and politically—in ensuring Assad’s survival over the past decade. This article delves into why Assad’s downfall would strike at the core of Russian prestige and what it could mean for the broader geopolitical landscape. Russia's Strategic Commitment to Syria Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad's regime. In 2015, Moscow launched a military intervention that proved decisive in stabilizing Assad’s hold on power. This intervention solidified Russia's role as a key power broker in the Middle East and demonstrated its willingness to project military power far beyond its borders. Syria is not just an ally for Russia; it is a...