Skip to main content

Lawyers divided over judges’ arrest by DSS

Some Nigerian judges

Some Nigerian judges

More reactions have continued to trail the arrest of some judges at the weekend in Abuja and some parts of the country by men of the Department of State Service (DSS).

Some lawyers, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos on Monday, lauded the action of the DSS, while others condemned the invasion of their homes on the grounds that it contravened the provisions of the law.

The DSS had on Oct. 7 raided the residences of seven judges of the Supreme, Federal and State High Courts across the country over allegations of corrupt practices.

On Oct. 8, the service in a statement said it had recovered over N360 million from the homes of three of the judges (names withheld) following the raid.

The DSS had said that the raid was aimed at restoring “sanity and sanctity’’ to the esteemed third arm of government in the interest of the society.

Human rights lawyer, Mr Ebun Olu-Adegboruwa described the arrest as a worrisome development.

His words:“I read with great amazement and total disbelief, the news of the invasion of the homes of judicial officers in Port Harcourt and in Abuja by the DSS.

“It is highly condemnable for the DSS to be breathing down on the judicial arm of government under the guise of fighting corruption.

“In a democracy, the rule of law prescribes the independence of the judiciary, whereby judges must be allowed the unfettered right of taking decision according to law and according to their consciences.

“It is in this regard that the mindless invasion of the homes of judges by the DSS is totally condemnable; the judiciary is the arm of government that stabilizes democracy and so, should not be exposed to ridicule or opprobrium.”

According to Adegboruwa, any fight against corruption must be done in accordance with acceptable standards and principles of law.

In the same vein, a constitutional lawyer, Mr Paul Umuzuruigbo, believed that the fight against corruption must follow laid down rules and procedures.

“Any fight against corruption must be done under the rule of law, and there is no law that authorizes the invasion of the home of a judge at an unholy hour of the night.

“Being public officers, there is no way these judicial officers would have absconded or run away from normal arrest during the day if need be.

“It is the height of lawlessness and gross intolerance to go about the arrest of judicial officers in the way and manner played out by the DSS,” he told NAN.

But another Lagos-based lawyer, Mr Justice Chimezie, reacted differently, urging the DSS to ensure that investigations were carried out to the letter about the corruption allegations.

He said:“Whether the arrest is constitutional or not, the fact still remains that there are allegations of corruptions hanging on the necks of these judges.

“The onus resides with them to establish their innocence of the allegations.

“I think we must learn to put aside sentiments in dealing with issues that touches on national consciousness.”

Chimezie stressed the need for such investigations to be done bearing in mind the principles of fundamental human rights.

To another lawyer and social critic, Mr Emenike Nnoromlele, the action of the DSS cannot be faulted.

“I keep wondering why a good number of members of the NBA are crying foul with regards to this issue; the DSS possesses every power to dispense its duties as it deems fit.

“To my mind, the fight against corruption should leave no stone unturned. There should be no sacred cows and no anointed hands; the fight must be holistic.”

Nnoromlele noted that where a case had been referred to the National Judicial Council for disciplinary measures, such a case could still be investigated by security agencies particularly if the outcome is unsatisfactory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pope not involved in Colombian peace deal- Vatican

Pope Francis Pope Francis has turned down a request to play a role in the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group. The Vatican in a statement issued on Wednesday in in Vatican City said that an invitation was sent to his Holiness in early August to appoint a representative to participate in the committee that selected the judges for the talks. The statement said that though Pope Francis supported the peace process, he, however, reiterated that he would not get involved in Colombian peace deal. It said that Pope was praying for the enlightenment of the hearts and minds of those who were called to promote the common good of the Colombian nation. A deal was announced last week, putting an end to five decades of internal conflict between government forces and the FARC rebels. The agreement, which needed to be ratified through a referendum in Oct. 2, would entail setting up a special court to grant amnesties or pu...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...

Fall of Assad is a Blow to Russia's Prestige

The potential fall of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a long-standing ally of Russia, would mark a turning point in Moscow’s global influence, particularly in the Middle East. Steve Rosenberg’s analysis underscores the profound implications for Russia, which has invested heavily—both militarily and politically—in ensuring Assad’s survival over the past decade. This article delves into why Assad’s downfall would strike at the core of Russian prestige and what it could mean for the broader geopolitical landscape. Russia's Strategic Commitment to Syria Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad's regime. In 2015, Moscow launched a military intervention that proved decisive in stabilizing Assad’s hold on power. This intervention solidified Russia's role as a key power broker in the Middle East and demonstrated its willingness to project military power far beyond its borders. Syria is not just an ally for Russia; it is a...