Skip to main content

Boko Haram: Cameroon commends gallant Nigerian Army

Nigerian soldiers

Nigerian soldiers

The Cameroonian Army has commended the gallant effort of the Nigerian Army in chasing away Boko Haram terrorists from the country.

The Commander Sector 1 of the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF), Brig.-Gen. Bouba Dobekreo said this when he visited General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 division, Nigerian Army Brig.-Gen. Victor Ezugwu in Maiduguri.

Col. Mustapha Anka, spokesman of the division stated this in a statement in Maiduguri.

Dobekreo commended army for its gallantry in the fight against Boko Haram insurgency, saying that such action has shown the determination of the Nigerian government to end terrorism.

Anka quoted the visitor as saying that the Boko Haram insurgency since its inception had affected the economy of Cameroon, especially as it concerned that Trans Sahara Trade.

Dobekreo described the GOC as a strategist, professional and team player, who believed in synergy and cooperation to achieve set objectives.

He thanked the GOC for all the support his troops enjoyed from his command, especially in the area of information sharing, and promised to maintain the already existing synergy between the two countries.

Dobekreo also described the challenges posed by the terrorists as a test for West African countries to handle security threats in the region by themselves.

He called on West African countries to always be security conscious along the borders of the Chad Basin.

The Cameroonian Commander promised to stand by Nigeria to end the insurgency in the shortest possible time.

Responding, the GOC thanked the Cameroonian Commander and then attributed their success to the relationship between the two countries through collaboration and capacity building in the fight against insurgency.

He described the visit as timely, saying it would afford the Commanders the opportunity to sit and re-strategise for the final onslaught against the terrorists.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pope not involved in Colombian peace deal- Vatican

Pope Francis Pope Francis has turned down a request to play a role in the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group. The Vatican in a statement issued on Wednesday in in Vatican City said that an invitation was sent to his Holiness in early August to appoint a representative to participate in the committee that selected the judges for the talks. The statement said that though Pope Francis supported the peace process, he, however, reiterated that he would not get involved in Colombian peace deal. It said that Pope was praying for the enlightenment of the hearts and minds of those who were called to promote the common good of the Colombian nation. A deal was announced last week, putting an end to five decades of internal conflict between government forces and the FARC rebels. The agreement, which needed to be ratified through a referendum in Oct. 2, would entail setting up a special court to grant amnesties or pu...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...

Fall of Assad is a Blow to Russia's Prestige

The potential fall of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a long-standing ally of Russia, would mark a turning point in Moscow’s global influence, particularly in the Middle East. Steve Rosenberg’s analysis underscores the profound implications for Russia, which has invested heavily—both militarily and politically—in ensuring Assad’s survival over the past decade. This article delves into why Assad’s downfall would strike at the core of Russian prestige and what it could mean for the broader geopolitical landscape. Russia's Strategic Commitment to Syria Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad's regime. In 2015, Moscow launched a military intervention that proved decisive in stabilizing Assad’s hold on power. This intervention solidified Russia's role as a key power broker in the Middle East and demonstrated its willingness to project military power far beyond its borders. Syria is not just an ally for Russia; it is a...