Skip to main content

BBOG commends FG over 21 Chibok girls release

Kidnapped Chibok schoolgirls

Kidnapped Chibok schoolgirls

The Bring Back our Girls (BBOG) group has commended the efforts of President Muhammadu Buhari and the Nigerian Military in securing the release of 21 abducted Chibok girls.

Mrs Oby Ezekwesili, the Convener of BBOG, on Thursday expressed the group’s gratitude on her Twitter handle from London.

Ezekwesili said the group was using this development as a point of contact for the remaining 197 girls.

“With tears of unspeakable joy at the release of 21 of our Chibok girls, we cry out and use them as point of contact for the rest of 197.

“We, BBOG, are thanking our soldiers in the front line of battle. You have given and keep giving us so much hope and sacrifices; we wait for the Federal Government for release of the remaining girls,’’ she said.

On his part, the BBOG Spokesman, Mr Abubakar Abdullahi, also commended the efforts of government and security agencies for the release of the girls.

“We welcome the development; we are delighted on the release of the girls.

“We thank the government and people have been on negotiation team, security agencies and all those who are part of their release.

“We want government to continue to work to ensure their safety and we urge the international community to support government in the release of 197 Chibok girls,’’ he said.

However, Abdullahi called for psycho-social support rehabilitation for the girls for them to live normal lives, saying government should provide the support.

Malam Garba Shehu, the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, said the release of the girls was the outcome of negotiations between the federal government and the sect.

Shehu said the negotiations were brokered by the International Red Cross, Red Crescent Movement and the Swiss Government, adding that the negotiations would continue.

He said the released girls would soon be handed over to Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo by the Department of State Service.

President Muhammadu Buhari had solicited the assistance of the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon in negotiations with Boko Haram for the release of the girls.

In May, one of the more than 200 girls kidnapped from their school dormitory on April 14, 2014, escaped from their captors with her baby.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pope not involved in Colombian peace deal- Vatican

Pope Francis Pope Francis has turned down a request to play a role in the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group. The Vatican in a statement issued on Wednesday in in Vatican City said that an invitation was sent to his Holiness in early August to appoint a representative to participate in the committee that selected the judges for the talks. The statement said that though Pope Francis supported the peace process, he, however, reiterated that he would not get involved in Colombian peace deal. It said that Pope was praying for the enlightenment of the hearts and minds of those who were called to promote the common good of the Colombian nation. A deal was announced last week, putting an end to five decades of internal conflict between government forces and the FARC rebels. The agreement, which needed to be ratified through a referendum in Oct. 2, would entail setting up a special court to grant amnesties or pu...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...

Fall of Assad is a Blow to Russia's Prestige

The potential fall of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a long-standing ally of Russia, would mark a turning point in Moscow’s global influence, particularly in the Middle East. Steve Rosenberg’s analysis underscores the profound implications for Russia, which has invested heavily—both militarily and politically—in ensuring Assad’s survival over the past decade. This article delves into why Assad’s downfall would strike at the core of Russian prestige and what it could mean for the broader geopolitical landscape. Russia's Strategic Commitment to Syria Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad's regime. In 2015, Moscow launched a military intervention that proved decisive in stabilizing Assad’s hold on power. This intervention solidified Russia's role as a key power broker in the Middle East and demonstrated its willingness to project military power far beyond its borders. Syria is not just an ally for Russia; it is a...