Skip to main content

First Trump-Clinton debate to attract 100 million viewers

Clinton and Trump

Clinton and Trump

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton on Monday faced off in a presidential debate that could be the most-watched in U.S. history, with the high-stakes showdown expected to attract 100 million viewers.

The 90-minute contest at Hofstra University on Long Island, New York is the first of three planned debates.

It said that the debate would also be one of the last chances for the two candidates to sway voters ahead of the November 8 election.

An opinion poll released showed a dead heat at the national level, with both nominees receiving 46 per cent of likely voters in a Bloomberg survey.

However the presidential election is won state-by-state – especially so-called swing-states such as Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Florida and by that measure Clinton still has a slight advantage.

The debate would be moderated by NBC journalist, Lester Holt and will feature questions about the direction of the country, the economy and national security.

Clinton, a Democrat whose political career spans four decades, is widely seen as the better debater.

But Trump, a novice politician who made his name in real estate and reality television, has a bombastic and unpredictable style that analysts say makes him a tricky opponent to go up against.

Anticipation has been building for the head-to-head encounter, with media watchers estimating that more viewers will tune in than for any other previous presidential debate.

The audience for the Clinton-Trump confrontation is expected to surpass the 1980 presidential debate between Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan, in which 80 million watched.

The first 2012 debate between President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney had 67 million viewers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pope not involved in Colombian peace deal- Vatican

Pope Francis Pope Francis has turned down a request to play a role in the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group. The Vatican in a statement issued on Wednesday in in Vatican City said that an invitation was sent to his Holiness in early August to appoint a representative to participate in the committee that selected the judges for the talks. The statement said that though Pope Francis supported the peace process, he, however, reiterated that he would not get involved in Colombian peace deal. It said that Pope was praying for the enlightenment of the hearts and minds of those who were called to promote the common good of the Colombian nation. A deal was announced last week, putting an end to five decades of internal conflict between government forces and the FARC rebels. The agreement, which needed to be ratified through a referendum in Oct. 2, would entail setting up a special court to grant amnesties or pu...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...

Fall of Assad is a Blow to Russia's Prestige

The potential fall of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a long-standing ally of Russia, would mark a turning point in Moscow’s global influence, particularly in the Middle East. Steve Rosenberg’s analysis underscores the profound implications for Russia, which has invested heavily—both militarily and politically—in ensuring Assad’s survival over the past decade. This article delves into why Assad’s downfall would strike at the core of Russian prestige and what it could mean for the broader geopolitical landscape. Russia's Strategic Commitment to Syria Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad's regime. In 2015, Moscow launched a military intervention that proved decisive in stabilizing Assad’s hold on power. This intervention solidified Russia's role as a key power broker in the Middle East and demonstrated its willingness to project military power far beyond its borders. Syria is not just an ally for Russia; it is a...