Skip to main content

Eid-el-Kabir: Passengers throng Osogbo parks after celebrations

FILE Photo: Some stranded passengers.

FILE Photo: Some stranded passengers.

Scores of passengers travelling back to their bases on Wednesday besieged different motor parks in Osogbo, after the Eid-el-Kabir celebration.

Some of the passengers, mostly civil servants, are in the state to celebrate with their loved ones.

At the popular Idi-seke Park, a passenger, Mrs Olanike Yusuf, said she was at Ikirun, an ancient town near Osogbo, to celebrate with her in-laws.

Yusuf said that she needed to catch up with business deals in Lagos, hence the need to leave early.

She, however, described her experience during the celebration as pleasant with the high level of security put in place and the general serenity of the township.

Another passenger at Ota-efun Park, Alhaji Saka Ilumoka, said he came to Osogbo to celebrate with his family and that he was returning to Abuja to get back to work.

He said this year’s Eid-el-Kabir festival was not too “fun-filled”due to the harsh economic situation.

He urged the government at all levels to do something fast and turn around the economy.

Similarly, a Benin-bound passenger at the Olaiya Park, Miss Kadijat Usman, called on the government to work harder to stabilise the economy.

She said the Eid-el-Kabir celebration had exposed the state of the economy the more.

“We have come to celebrate and now we are going back to our destination.

“Although it had been a nice experience going by the re-union with the loved ones, the condition of our economy was further exposed by the celebration.

“The Federal Government must do something about the economy, it cannot continue like this,” Usman said.

The Federal Government had declared Monday and Tuesday as public holidays to celebrate the Eid-el-Kabir festival.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Court grants Fani-Kayode N50m bail

Fani-kayode sandwiched by EFCC officials Justice James Tsoho of the Federal High Court Abuja on Thursday granted a N50m bail to former spokesman of the Goodluck Jonathan Campaign Organisation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode. Fani-Kayode was arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on a five-count charge of money laundering to the tune of N26m. Fani-Kayode is the sole defendant in the fresh charges numbered, FHC/ABJ/CR/140/2016. The EFCC accused the defendant of diverting 26 million Naira allegedly received from the ONSA while Sambo Dasuki was in office. The anti-graft agency also accused him of handling the said N26 million without going through financial institution as required under the Money Laundering Act. The embattled former minister is already facing 17-count charge of money laundering before the Lagos Division of the court, along with a former Finance Minister; Nenadi Usman, Danjuma Yusuf and a firm; Joint Trust Dimension Nigeria Limited. They were charg...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...

Fire: UniJos Senate convenes emergency meeting on Monday

Fire at the University of Jos Library University of Jos is to convene an emergency senate meeting on Monday to review the level of damage done to the institution by the Saturday night inferno. The Vice Chancellor, Prof. Sebastian Maimako, disclosed this on Sunday after inspecting areas affected by the incident. The fire, which lasted for more than six hours, destroyed the Library Complex that equally houses the faculties of management and social sciences. The fire also destroyed examination scripts, books and very crucial materials. Consequently, the vice-chancellor said “the Senate will meet tomorrow (Monday) to take a decision about the unmarked examination scripts that were burnt.” On the cause of the inferno, Maimako said investigation had commenced, adding that “nothing has been confirmed yet. We are still investigating.” The vice chancellor said the school was already working with federal authorities toward establishing a main fire station since the mini fire station in t...