Skip to main content

Kwara residents decry craze for ‘aso ebi’

aso-ebi

Some residents of Ilorin have decried the craze over uniforms popularly called ‘Aso Ebi’ during ceremonies, saying it is exploitative.

The residents, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday in Ilorin, said that people now saw it as money making venture instead of the motive of felicitation.

A civil servant, Mrs. Janet Adeyi said some people use it as a means to make money expected to be spent in the course of preparing for the ceremony.

“These days, people now sell ‘Aso Ebi’ at exorbitant prices just because they want to gather the money they will spend in preparing for the ceremony.

“Had it been the clothes are even of good quality, it will not be painful but annoyingly, they are low-quality clothes.

“They are clothes that one will wash once and it will fade off,” she said.

Another respondent, Mr Victor Ishaiya said he had stopped his wife from buying them except for family members that cannot be avoided.

“I discovered that there is hardly a month that she doesn’t buy one which doesn’t make sense to me.

“I have told her to stop buying, except for family members that we cannot say no and funny enough, she has not gone naked to any ceremony which is to tell you that she has been buying what she doesn’t need.

“And such money have now been used for other things, especially with this economic recession, one just has to be careful,” Ishaiya said.

Yemisi Yusuf said it was as if people want their guests to pay for the food and drinks they would be served with by making them buy the asoebi at an exorbitant rate.

“The new trend now is making guests pay indirectly for the food they will eat by increasing the price higher than what is obtainable in the market.

“They can sell aso ebi for you for N2,500 and you will get it for N1,200 in the market.

“Are they telling me they can give me souvenir that is reasonable enough, so it is not funny at all.

“And to some people, if you refuse to buy, they will see you as an enemy,” Yusuf said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pope not involved in Colombian peace deal- Vatican

Pope Francis Pope Francis has turned down a request to play a role in the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group. The Vatican in a statement issued on Wednesday in in Vatican City said that an invitation was sent to his Holiness in early August to appoint a representative to participate in the committee that selected the judges for the talks. The statement said that though Pope Francis supported the peace process, he, however, reiterated that he would not get involved in Colombian peace deal. It said that Pope was praying for the enlightenment of the hearts and minds of those who were called to promote the common good of the Colombian nation. A deal was announced last week, putting an end to five decades of internal conflict between government forces and the FARC rebels. The agreement, which needed to be ratified through a referendum in Oct. 2, would entail setting up a special court to grant amnesties or pu...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...

Fall of Assad is a Blow to Russia's Prestige

The potential fall of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a long-standing ally of Russia, would mark a turning point in Moscow’s global influence, particularly in the Middle East. Steve Rosenberg’s analysis underscores the profound implications for Russia, which has invested heavily—both militarily and politically—in ensuring Assad’s survival over the past decade. This article delves into why Assad’s downfall would strike at the core of Russian prestige and what it could mean for the broader geopolitical landscape. Russia's Strategic Commitment to Syria Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad's regime. In 2015, Moscow launched a military intervention that proved decisive in stabilizing Assad’s hold on power. This intervention solidified Russia's role as a key power broker in the Middle East and demonstrated its willingness to project military power far beyond its borders. Syria is not just an ally for Russia; it is a...