Skip to main content

Kidnapping: Lagos to provide security for traditional rulers

L-R: Special Adviser to the Governor on Community and Communication, Kehinde Bamigbetan; the Oniba of Iba land, Oba Goriola Oseni and the Commissioner for Local Government and Community Affairs, Muslim Folami during the visit to the palace on Monday.

L-R: Special Adviser to the Governor on Community and Communication, Kehinde Bamigbetan; the Oniba of Iba land, Oba Goriola Oseni and the Commissioner for Local Government and Community Affairs, Muslim Folami during the visit to the palace on Monday.

Kazeem Ugbodaga

The Lagos State Government says it has concluded arrangement to provide security for traditional rulers and their palaces in the state.

This followed the kidnap of the Oniba of Iba land, Oba Goriola Oseni by kidnappers last month. The monarch was however released after a ransom of N15.1 million was paid to the abductors.

Speaking when he paid a visit on the oba on Monday, Commissioner for Local Government and Community Affairs, Muslim Folami said the state government would now extend security to the palaces across the state.

He stated that government did not want a repeat of what happened to the Iba monarch as the security of its traditional rulers was key.

The commissioner added that government had provided lots of equipment for the police for effective performance and that the police were on top of their business to police and secure the state.

Thanking God that the monarch was released unhurt; the commissioner said government was very much concerned all through the period the monarch was kidnapped and was working with the police to ensure his timely release.

He said government was doing much to open up the rural areas by embarking on the construction of 114 rural roads across the councils in the state.

Speaking, the Oniba of Iba land, Oseni appealed to the government to provide security at the grassroots, saying that the police post in the community for long had not been upgraded.

He said he had never seen such sophisticated weapons used by the kidnappers in abducting him with any police officer.

The monarch lamented that many of the kidnappers were boys of 18 and 19 years apart from the few adult among them.

According to him, when he advised them that they ought to be in school rather than engage in such act, they told him that they did not have such money for school and that what they were interested in was how to make money through bunkering and kidnapping.

Oseni said he believed that there was an informant among the kidnappers, which was why they succeeded in the operation.

He also said he could identify any of the kidnappers whenever he saw them, adding that the two that were arrested were part of the kidnapping business.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pope not involved in Colombian peace deal- Vatican

Pope Francis Pope Francis has turned down a request to play a role in the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group. The Vatican in a statement issued on Wednesday in in Vatican City said that an invitation was sent to his Holiness in early August to appoint a representative to participate in the committee that selected the judges for the talks. The statement said that though Pope Francis supported the peace process, he, however, reiterated that he would not get involved in Colombian peace deal. It said that Pope was praying for the enlightenment of the hearts and minds of those who were called to promote the common good of the Colombian nation. A deal was announced last week, putting an end to five decades of internal conflict between government forces and the FARC rebels. The agreement, which needed to be ratified through a referendum in Oct. 2, would entail setting up a special court to grant amnesties or pu...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...

Fall of Assad is a Blow to Russia's Prestige

The potential fall of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a long-standing ally of Russia, would mark a turning point in Moscow’s global influence, particularly in the Middle East. Steve Rosenberg’s analysis underscores the profound implications for Russia, which has invested heavily—both militarily and politically—in ensuring Assad’s survival over the past decade. This article delves into why Assad’s downfall would strike at the core of Russian prestige and what it could mean for the broader geopolitical landscape. Russia's Strategic Commitment to Syria Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad's regime. In 2015, Moscow launched a military intervention that proved decisive in stabilizing Assad’s hold on power. This intervention solidified Russia's role as a key power broker in the Middle East and demonstrated its willingness to project military power far beyond its borders. Syria is not just an ally for Russia; it is a...