Skip to main content

FRSC to clampdown on fake drivers’ licence syndicates

FRSC Boss, Boboye Oyeyemi

FRSC Boss, Boboye Oyeyemi

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) said in Lagos on Sunday that it would continue to intensify efforts to clampdown on fake drivers’ licence syndicates in the country.

Mr Olatunji Oguntoye, the Surulere Unit Commander of the corps in Lagos gave
the assurance in an interview in Lagos.

He said: “In this locality (Surulere), Lagos we are battling with the
issue of fake drivers’ licences in some quarters and this is attributed to the
activities of touts in our neighbourhoods.

“But we are doing all we can to see that we overcome it, hence, in our public enlightenment activities, we encourage people not to patronise fake officials.

“That is what led us to transform the old licence to this one. You
cannot be issued any licence now without physical capture.

“If we capture your photograph, we also input your data in our system.

“But if you say you are getting a drivers’ licence today through a
third party, can you say it would be properly done? How will the
system recognise somebody by proxy?’’

He said the command often visited worship centres, motor parks, and also enlisted the support of traditional rulers to enlighten the public on the consequences of being in possession of a fake drivers’ licence.

“To the best of my knowledge, the corps is not resting on its oars as
we try to prosecute whoever is found to be in the web of producing
such fake licences.

“So that has been part of the protection that we are putting to
ensure the authenticity of the drivers’ licence,” Oguntoye added.

On the delay in the collection of driver’s licences produced by the
corps, the commander said the FRSC had adopted various notification
methods to ensure that the backlog of such licences were cleared without
further delay.

“We have gone the extra mile to inform people through both short
service messages and phone calls that their licences had been
produced.

“As a result, we have been able to clear a lot of the backlog, but we
discovered that lot of people are still not ready to come for them.’’

Oguntoye, however, said drivers whose licences were still being
processed by the corps were required to produce a temporary licence,
which is also issued by the corps, upon request.

On the use of seat belts, he said, “the seat belt does not hurt you.
Safety is the surest insurance, so you don’t need to negotiate or
comprise.’’

He stressed that the unit would continue to synergise with the media,
to ensure that motorists and the general public adhered to road safety rules.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pope not involved in Colombian peace deal- Vatican

Pope Francis Pope Francis has turned down a request to play a role in the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group. The Vatican in a statement issued on Wednesday in in Vatican City said that an invitation was sent to his Holiness in early August to appoint a representative to participate in the committee that selected the judges for the talks. The statement said that though Pope Francis supported the peace process, he, however, reiterated that he would not get involved in Colombian peace deal. It said that Pope was praying for the enlightenment of the hearts and minds of those who were called to promote the common good of the Colombian nation. A deal was announced last week, putting an end to five decades of internal conflict between government forces and the FARC rebels. The agreement, which needed to be ratified through a referendum in Oct. 2, would entail setting up a special court to grant amnesties or pu...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...

Fall of Assad is a Blow to Russia's Prestige

The potential fall of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a long-standing ally of Russia, would mark a turning point in Moscow’s global influence, particularly in the Middle East. Steve Rosenberg’s analysis underscores the profound implications for Russia, which has invested heavily—both militarily and politically—in ensuring Assad’s survival over the past decade. This article delves into why Assad’s downfall would strike at the core of Russian prestige and what it could mean for the broader geopolitical landscape. Russia's Strategic Commitment to Syria Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad's regime. In 2015, Moscow launched a military intervention that proved decisive in stabilizing Assad’s hold on power. This intervention solidified Russia's role as a key power broker in the Middle East and demonstrated its willingness to project military power far beyond its borders. Syria is not just an ally for Russia; it is a...