Skip to main content

US happy over life sentence for ex-Chadian President

Hissene HabreThe U.S. on Monday welcomed the Extraordinary African Chambers’ (CAE) sentencing of former Chadian President, Hissene Habre to life in prison for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Habre was also convicted of charges of murder, torture, rape, and sexual slavery and sentenced to life in prison.

U.S. Secretary of State, John Kerry in a statement by State Department in New York, said the ruling was a landmark in the global fight against impunity for atrocities.

The statement said Habre’s crimes were numerous, calculated, and grave.

According to the statement, beginning in 1982, Habre’s eight-year term as the president of Chad is marked by large-scale systematic violations.

It said Habre committed murder of an estimated 40,000 people, widespread sexual violence, mass imprisonment, enforced disappearance, and torture.

It added that without the persistence of his accusers and their demand for justice, Habre might never have faced a court of law.

“I especially commend the courage of the nearly 100 victims who testified.

“I hope the truths uncovered through a fair and impartial trial will bring some measure of peace to his thousands of victims and their families.

“As a country committed to the respect for human rights and the pursuit of justice, this is also an opportunity for the U.S. to reflect on, and learn from, our own connection with past events in Chad.

“I strongly commend the Senegalese Government, the Chadian Government and the African Union for creating the CAE that allowed for a fair and balanced trial.

“Let this be a message to other perpetrators of mass atrocities, even those at the highest levels.

“And including former heads of state, that such actions will not be tolerated and they will be brought to justice”, it said.

A special court in Senegal sentenced Habre to life in prison after convicting him of crimes against humanity, torture and sexual slavery.

The verdict on Monday brings to an end a 16-year battle by victims and rights campaigners to bring the former leader to justice in Senegal.

He fled after being toppled in a 1990 coup in the central African nation.

In a judgment, Gberdao Kam, President of CAE court, said: “Hissene Habre, this court finds you guilty of crimes against humanity, rape, forced slavery, and kidnapping, as well as war crimes.

“The court condemns you to life in prison.”

He gave Habre 15 days to appeal against the sentence.

Human rights groups accused the 72-year old of being responsible for the deaths of 40,000 people during his rule from 1982 to 1990.

Habre’s case was heard by the Extraordinary African Chambers in Senegal’s capital, Dakar, a special criminal court set up by the African Union within the West African nation’s court system.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pope not involved in Colombian peace deal- Vatican

Pope Francis Pope Francis has turned down a request to play a role in the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group. The Vatican in a statement issued on Wednesday in in Vatican City said that an invitation was sent to his Holiness in early August to appoint a representative to participate in the committee that selected the judges for the talks. The statement said that though Pope Francis supported the peace process, he, however, reiterated that he would not get involved in Colombian peace deal. It said that Pope was praying for the enlightenment of the hearts and minds of those who were called to promote the common good of the Colombian nation. A deal was announced last week, putting an end to five decades of internal conflict between government forces and the FARC rebels. The agreement, which needed to be ratified through a referendum in Oct. 2, would entail setting up a special court to grant amnesties or pu...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...

Fall of Assad is a Blow to Russia's Prestige

The potential fall of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a long-standing ally of Russia, would mark a turning point in Moscow’s global influence, particularly in the Middle East. Steve Rosenberg’s analysis underscores the profound implications for Russia, which has invested heavily—both militarily and politically—in ensuring Assad’s survival over the past decade. This article delves into why Assad’s downfall would strike at the core of Russian prestige and what it could mean for the broader geopolitical landscape. Russia's Strategic Commitment to Syria Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad's regime. In 2015, Moscow launched a military intervention that proved decisive in stabilizing Assad’s hold on power. This intervention solidified Russia's role as a key power broker in the Middle East and demonstrated its willingness to project military power far beyond its borders. Syria is not just an ally for Russia; it is a...