Skip to main content

CAF fines Nigeria $5,000 for overcrowding

Caf logoThe Confederation of African Football (CAF) has fined Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) 5,000 dollars for overcrowding at its 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier in Kaduna against Egypt.

The fine is one of several sanctions handed out by CAF’s Disciplinary Committee.

An estimated 40,000 fans had taken over the Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna, which was designed to hold just 16,000 spectators, as the Super Eagles drew 1-1 with Egypt.

Nigeria were also warned of further sanctions if similar incidents occur.

Egypt were fined the same amount for the “excessive use of lasers’’ in the return leg against Nigeria in Cairo four days later.

DR Congo, Sudan, Comoros, The Gambia and Kenya were also sanctioned.

Kenya were fined 10,000 dollars for “players severely contesting referee decisions, supporters throwing stones and police having to use tear gas to disperse crowd’’.

The incidents happened as they lost 0-1 in Nairobi in a Nations Cup qualifier against Guinea Bissau on March 23.

The committee also issued a warning about the “security measures in CAF matches’’ and that in the case of similar incidents, the team may have to play on neutral territory.

A few days earlier, when Guinea Bissau beat the visiting Kenyans 1-0, ball boys had invaded the pitch.

The Guinea Bissau federation was consequently given a warning letter to respect the rules and reinforce security.

There was also a warning letter for Comoros after a spectator got onto the pitch during their 1-0 win over Botswana in a Nations Cup tie.

A spectator also got onto the pitch as DR Congo beat Angola 2-1 on March 26, and objects were also thrown on the pitch too.

As a result, the Congolese authorities were fined 5,000 dollars.

CAF has however warned that the amount would double if the team is found guilty of similar offences in upcoming matches.

The Gambia and Sudan will have to pay 5,000 dollars for the throwing of missiles, including stones, during their 2017 matches against Mauritania and Ivory Coast respectively.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pope not involved in Colombian peace deal- Vatican

Pope Francis Pope Francis has turned down a request to play a role in the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group. The Vatican in a statement issued on Wednesday in in Vatican City said that an invitation was sent to his Holiness in early August to appoint a representative to participate in the committee that selected the judges for the talks. The statement said that though Pope Francis supported the peace process, he, however, reiterated that he would not get involved in Colombian peace deal. It said that Pope was praying for the enlightenment of the hearts and minds of those who were called to promote the common good of the Colombian nation. A deal was announced last week, putting an end to five decades of internal conflict between government forces and the FARC rebels. The agreement, which needed to be ratified through a referendum in Oct. 2, would entail setting up a special court to grant amnesties or pu...

Houthis Claim Attack on Central Israel in Response to Gaza ‘Massacres’

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has taken a concerning regional turn as the Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for an attack on central Israel. The group announced this as part of their escalating response to what they describe as "massacres" in Gaza amid the Israeli military’s operations in the strip. Details of the Attack The Houthis, a Shiite militant group with ties to Iran, declared that they launched missile and drone strikes targeting Israel. While the exact impact of these attacks remains unclear, reports suggest that Israel’s defense systems intercepted several threats over its airspace. This marks a significant escalation as the Houthis widen their involvement in the conflict beyond their typical operations within Yemen and neighboring Saudi Arabia. The Houthis’ Justification In their statement, the Houthis framed the attack as retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which they characterized as indiscriminate bombings resultin...

Fall of Assad is a Blow to Russia's Prestige

The potential fall of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a long-standing ally of Russia, would mark a turning point in Moscow’s global influence, particularly in the Middle East. Steve Rosenberg’s analysis underscores the profound implications for Russia, which has invested heavily—both militarily and politically—in ensuring Assad’s survival over the past decade. This article delves into why Assad’s downfall would strike at the core of Russian prestige and what it could mean for the broader geopolitical landscape. Russia's Strategic Commitment to Syria Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad's regime. In 2015, Moscow launched a military intervention that proved decisive in stabilizing Assad’s hold on power. This intervention solidified Russia's role as a key power broker in the Middle East and demonstrated its willingness to project military power far beyond its borders. Syria is not just an ally for Russia; it is a...